- Jen Hadley
The Ox-Cart Man
This book is so beautifully written with inviting illustrations, it is no wonder it received a Coldecott Medal. Here are some lesson ideas or just things you can do with your children to truly embrace and enjoy this story - although the story is enough!
- Look into seasons and what activities you can do in each
- Visit a sheep farm to watch sheep shearing
- Find a tutorial of how to crochet/knit
- Make a candle
- Research how to garden and when each item he mentions is ready - parsnips, potatoes, etc
- Watch how maple syrup is made
- Go on a walk to collect feathers, classify, and draw in a nature journal
- Exploration - map out an expedition to a town near you - how could you get there without a car? What would you pack? Why?
Thank you for joining me for Story Time with Jen - I hope you enjoyed the Ox-Cart Man and you can find some of these activities useful to jump start a love for reading! Here's to a wonderful book!